Ask Advanced Dental Specialists Madison if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
General anesthesia is determined on a case-by-case basis and may be recommended for patients that:
- Experience high anxiety due to fear or low tolerance to pain - it can help to prevent or address dental phobias (fear of the dentist);
- Have an allergy to local aesthetic or for whom local anesthetic is not effective in pain control;
- Require complex or invasive oral surgery procedures, or oral surgery procedures that would otherwise require multiple visits if performed without sedation;
- Experience a choking sensation (an exaggerated gag reflex), or have difficulty opening their mouth for a sustained period of time;
- Are unable to remain still during the dental treatment (due to a mental or physical disability).
If you're planning to "be asleep" or "be sedated" for your oral surgery, keep in mind that the effects of general anesthesia may take several hours to wear off. Plan ahead: Oral surgeons typically require patients to have an adult drive them home and to stay with them for several hours after the procedure.
At Advanced Dental Specialists Madison, your comfort during oral surgery procedures is important to us. Call us at 608-231-2006 for more information.